Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
- Joined
- May 19, 1972
- Messages
- 3,446
- Reaction score
- 371
I've been getting deeper into the meanings for each ideogram in the Yi, and one result of this is that I've let go of one assumption I've had, and I'm clearer about my approach now. Thought I'd share it in case it helped others clarify their own position.
I've let go of the assumption that there is a correct translation of the Yi, or even that there's a correct version of the Yi in Chinese. Traditions exist for sure, but it can't be denied that the thing has evolved. So which versions are better - the older ones or the more recent ones? Which meaning should you prefer for a particular ideogram - the one the Shang and Chou used, or the one later Confucian scholars used? I think it's a trick question, because it can box in your thinking. Which brings me to...
The approach I've plumped for is one I learned from the world of architecture, where you design a new building so that it harmonizes with the other (older) buildings in the vicinity. If you walk along one section of Shaftesbury Ave, I think it is, in London you'll see old brick buildings and newer brick buildings. The newer brick buildings harmonize nicely with the older brick buildings - nothing jars, everything works together architecturally. That's the approach I've decided to take with my own rendition of the Yi. I'll learn the older meanings of the Chinese, and compare them to the newer meanings and get a feel of how the meaning has been moving over the years. Then I'll decide which meaning I'm going to give it, based on the history of the meaning for the ideogram and based also on present-day usefulness. So, I might change a meaning slightly, or introduce a new meaning, but it will harmonize with what's gone before. For instance, I've been working with Hex 58. If you look at the meanings associated with dui4, there seem to be two big clusters - one is joy/pleasure and the other is openness/mouth/communication. Okay, I've tweaked it and now I call it Bringing Forth. This favors the openness/mouth/communication side of the traditional meanings (I think this is more useful than the other cluster of meanings), but adds some depth to what otherwise might seem shallow talk. Bringing Forth tweaks the existing meanings (if I understand them rightly) and harmonizes at the same time - it's a new building on an historical street, it's useful, and at the same time it doesn't seem out of place. In this way, I can harmonise the version I'm doing with both the past and the needs of the present.
A scholar couldn't possibly take this approach; a scholar is too bound by footnotes and what is commonly received and accepted. It's a revisionist approach, but not radically so.
Thoughts?
I've let go of the assumption that there is a correct translation of the Yi, or even that there's a correct version of the Yi in Chinese. Traditions exist for sure, but it can't be denied that the thing has evolved. So which versions are better - the older ones or the more recent ones? Which meaning should you prefer for a particular ideogram - the one the Shang and Chou used, or the one later Confucian scholars used? I think it's a trick question, because it can box in your thinking. Which brings me to...
The approach I've plumped for is one I learned from the world of architecture, where you design a new building so that it harmonizes with the other (older) buildings in the vicinity. If you walk along one section of Shaftesbury Ave, I think it is, in London you'll see old brick buildings and newer brick buildings. The newer brick buildings harmonize nicely with the older brick buildings - nothing jars, everything works together architecturally. That's the approach I've decided to take with my own rendition of the Yi. I'll learn the older meanings of the Chinese, and compare them to the newer meanings and get a feel of how the meaning has been moving over the years. Then I'll decide which meaning I'm going to give it, based on the history of the meaning for the ideogram and based also on present-day usefulness. So, I might change a meaning slightly, or introduce a new meaning, but it will harmonize with what's gone before. For instance, I've been working with Hex 58. If you look at the meanings associated with dui4, there seem to be two big clusters - one is joy/pleasure and the other is openness/mouth/communication. Okay, I've tweaked it and now I call it Bringing Forth. This favors the openness/mouth/communication side of the traditional meanings (I think this is more useful than the other cluster of meanings), but adds some depth to what otherwise might seem shallow talk. Bringing Forth tweaks the existing meanings (if I understand them rightly) and harmonizes at the same time - it's a new building on an historical street, it's useful, and at the same time it doesn't seem out of place. In this way, I can harmonise the version I'm doing with both the past and the needs of the present.
A scholar couldn't possibly take this approach; a scholar is too bound by footnotes and what is commonly received and accepted. It's a revisionist approach, but not radically so.
Thoughts?
