Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom
pocossin
visitor
- Joined
- Feb 7, 1970
- Messages
- 4,521
- Reaction score
- 261
http://www.emotionaliching.com/
Casting a Hexagram
There are four possibilities for a line of a hexagram:
1. unchanging yang
2. unchanging yin
3. changing yang
4. changing yin
In Lofting's system, these four possibilites for each of the six lines of a hexagram ( 4 X 6 = 24) are identified by working through a sorting structure based on his idea of the meaning of the lines. A hexagram has this pattern:
self
1.facts/values
2.actual/potential
3. proactive/reactive
surroundings (other)
4. facts/values
5. actual/potential
6. proactive/reactive
That is, the lines of the lower trigram relate to the self, the lines of the upper trigram to the surroundings. And as the meaning of a line may be certain or uncertain, there are four possibilites for each line. For line 1, which concerns facts/values of the self:
1. I am certain that the situation is more about facts: young yang.
2. I am certain that the situation is more about values: young yin.
3. I am now uncertain that the situation is more about facts: old yang.
4. I am now uncertain that the situation is more about values: old yin.
Consider the situation, choose one of these descriptions, and you determined a line. The procedures is the same for the other lines.
Interpreting a Casting
Lofting's use of hexagrams as given in his FAQ is conventional.
http://www.emotionaliching.com/faq.html
The query "Why do I feel so bad?" was asked by a family member who had become dependent on another for transportation. The casting gave 47 unchanging. Hexagram 47 has the meaning "Confining, Enforced Waiting, Set-Down Roots". On receiving the hexagram the querent acknowledged feeling trapped, and this acknowledgement resolved the issue. Lofting gives no details on how the querent worked through the sorting structure to arrive at 47, but we can reconstruct the choices made.
1. I am feeling that the situation is more about values (issues of 'ought'): young yin.
2. I am feeling that the Situation is, time-wise, about what was/is/will be: young yang.
3. I am feeling that, in some way, I am being Reactive (responding): young yin.
4. The surroundings are more about facts: young yang.
5. The surroundings are about what was/is/will be: young yang.
6. The surroundings are being Reactive (responding): young yin.
Casting a Hexagram
There are four possibilities for a line of a hexagram:
1. unchanging yang
2. unchanging yin
3. changing yang
4. changing yin
In Lofting's system, these four possibilites for each of the six lines of a hexagram ( 4 X 6 = 24) are identified by working through a sorting structure based on his idea of the meaning of the lines. A hexagram has this pattern:
self
1.facts/values
2.actual/potential
3. proactive/reactive
surroundings (other)
4. facts/values
5. actual/potential
6. proactive/reactive
That is, the lines of the lower trigram relate to the self, the lines of the upper trigram to the surroundings. And as the meaning of a line may be certain or uncertain, there are four possibilites for each line. For line 1, which concerns facts/values of the self:
1. I am certain that the situation is more about facts: young yang.
2. I am certain that the situation is more about values: young yin.
3. I am now uncertain that the situation is more about facts: old yang.
4. I am now uncertain that the situation is more about values: old yin.
Consider the situation, choose one of these descriptions, and you determined a line. The procedures is the same for the other lines.
Interpreting a Casting
Lofting's use of hexagrams as given in his FAQ is conventional.
http://www.emotionaliching.com/faq.html
The query "Why do I feel so bad?" was asked by a family member who had become dependent on another for transportation. The casting gave 47 unchanging. Hexagram 47 has the meaning "Confining, Enforced Waiting, Set-Down Roots". On receiving the hexagram the querent acknowledged feeling trapped, and this acknowledgement resolved the issue. Lofting gives no details on how the querent worked through the sorting structure to arrive at 47, but we can reconstruct the choices made.
Code:
▄▄ ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄ ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄ ▄▄
1. I am feeling that the situation is more about values (issues of 'ought'): young yin.
2. I am feeling that the Situation is, time-wise, about what was/is/will be: young yang.
3. I am feeling that, in some way, I am being Reactive (responding): young yin.
4. The surroundings are more about facts: young yang.
5. The surroundings are about what was/is/will be: young yang.
6. The surroundings are being Reactive (responding): young yin.

